One of the charms of Matthews, apparent by the continued success of Renfrow Hardware, is the remnants of the farm community it once was. While farmland becomes housing tracts, there are still symbols of the past dotted throughout the community.
McEwan Moore Farmhouse: Built in 1887, probably moved to its current location. Designated historic site, currently owned by LibertyHealthcare Properties of North Carolina LLC.
The Howie Barn:
Built in 1977 by Jack Riley using lumber from the Howie Gold mine
The Overcash Barn: Presumably built circa 1921, at the same time as the home next to it. The barn sits on a parcel rezoned in 2018 (application 2017-663) and now owned by Willton-BB Matthews Owner LLC. The property was approved to become a 350 unit multifamily development.
The Helms Farm: This farmland was bought in the 40s from the Stillwell family, originally owned by the Harkeys. The barns were probably built around the same time.
Hickory Hill Barn: There’s little on public record about this structure, but probably was built around 1960.