CMS schools are closed today and tomorrow so some of the campuses can house Hurricane Florence evacuees.
In lieu of our regular Morning Minute we’ve put together a list of fun things to do with your kids during the extra-long hurrication.
1. Visit the Matthews Library, 230 Matthews Station Street, before the hurricane gets here and stock up on books.
2. While you’re there, head upstairs and see the Town Hall. The Board of Commissioners and Mayor likely won’t be there, but the reception area is an impressive room appointed with local art and historical items.
3. Stay parked and walk over to Edible Art, 130-H Matthews Station Street. During hurricane breaks it’s perfectly normal to have cake for brunch. (Edible Art opens at 11.)
4. The next block over from Matthews Station Street is Charles Street. Stop by Karrousel Kids, 120 East Charles Street, for a new board game.
5. Continue up Trade Street to Renfrow’s* for some sand bags (because you never know), farm fresh veggies (to balance out the cake), and cold weather vegetable plants. Create a temporary indoor garden for green relief during what looks to be very grey days ahead.
6. Stop by Zab’s Place, 101 North Trade Street, Matthews, for Pinterest-worthy upcycling ideas and a fancy outfit for a Hurricane Tea Party.
7. Once you’re back in your car, head to Your Mom’s Donuts, 11025 Monroe Road, for either a snack or to stock up on sugar-laden bribes.
8. If the kids are all hopped up on sugar, drop them off for some play time. Charlotte Allstar Gymnastics and Cheerleading, 11011 Monroe Road, Matthews, is hosting open gym hours from 1:00-3:00 PM, both September 13 and 14 for five year olds & up. Cost is $10/child.
Later, when you’re stuck in the house:
2. Don your new Zab’s Place outfit and have a Hurricane Tea Party. Invite your neighbors, too!
3. Scrounge around for some socks and make a puppet show with stuff around your house.
4. If there’s power, use the free, downloadable movies from the library's website to your advantage.
A few cancellations to consider:
Matthews 101 postponed from September 13 to September 20.
Jekyll & Hyde Taphouse’s Halfway to St. Paddy’s Day celebration is postponed from September 14 & 15 to September 21 & 22.
Backyard Birds visit from the Raptor Center scheduled for September 15 is cancelled.
Matthews Community Farmers Market is cancelled for September 15.
Matthews UMC Fall Consignment Sale (September 15) is cancelled.
*Renfrow’s is a sponsor of the Beacon, but they did not ask for inclusion in this article, we just think an indoor garden is a good idea when the world outside is rainy and blustery.